Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Rescue 911


The other night I called 911 from my cell phone. We were on the freeway driving home. It was dark and somewhat rainy. Devlyn and I both noticed the car in front of us swerving. Swerving a ton! It was only going about fifty mph while the speed limit was sixty-five, but it couldn't decide which lane it wanted to be in. It was mostly driving on the shoulder one second and then veering to the far left the next. It was really scary to watch. The brakes would get tapped, then the left turn signal would come on while the car would veer right and then the right turn signal would come on immediately followed by the hazards. We were following at a bit of a distance in the right lane, it was mostly in the right lane. Cars in the left lane would hang back until it seemed somewhat stable and then bravely step on the gas to pass it.
"We have to report this." Devlyn said. So, it being dark, me not having a phone book and being in a hurry, I decided 911 was the best route to take. I dialed and pressed send. Then my phone made a noise I'd never heard it make before. Weird. "Clackamas Emergency," a recorded voice said, "if you need help, say 'help' or press 2." I did nothing since all I could picture was a person with a broken leg somewhere saying "help." I didn't feel like I really needed help, that just wasn't the best description of the situation so I waited, assuming that there would be other options.
"I'm sorry. I didn't get that, if you need help, say 'help' or press 2," The voice repeated. Okay....it looks like this was my only option. "Help," I said. Shortly after an operator came on and asked what my situation was.
He (or she, I really can't remember what gender the operator was...weird huh?) patched me through to the Oregon State Police. As I was being transferred, the car in front of us pulled off the road. Devlyn pulled off right behind it. He got out without hesitating (I would have hesitated). As he was approaching the car, a woman got out looking around nervously and anxiously. They walked to the back of the vehicle, squatted down and started looking at the car. I wondered if she was trying to tell him that her car had a drinking problem that was apparent when you look under it.
Meanwhile, I was telling all this to the officer on the phone and feeling really stupid. Um, I'd like to report a drunk driver, Um yeah, hi, we're actually pulled over now and my husband is talking to her. Yeah, they are looking at the back of the car. No, they aren't getting aggressive. Yeah, I can read the license plate number. Oh, call back if I have any more info? Okey dokey, rodger dodger! Click.
While I had been on the phone with the officer, I had been watching Devlyn and this woman standing on the shoulder only about three or four inches from the white line, talking back and forth while huge semi trucks roared past. They weren't looking at me while I was on the phone, but I was waving my arm almost like a reaction, motioning for them to "Get the heck away from the freeway where cars were speeding past!!!!!"
Anyway, Devlyn came back to the car and the women got back in her car. "What's going on?" I asked. Apparently the back left tire of the car was a spare. Oh, yeah it is only half the size of the one on the other side and I'd only been staring at the back of the car for ten minutes. I must've been distracted by trying not to visualize my husband being taken out by a semi-truck!! I wanted to say, "Remember when you were standing on the white line talking to some lady about her car while semi-trucks roared past you!!!" But I didn't. I showed amazing restraint. I must've said something about it though, because he said, yeah she kept leaning backwards while I was talking to her and making me nervous. He said she seemed a little incoherent but he couldn't smell any alcohol on her. Devlyn found out where she was headed and told her how to get there using back roads. She needed to get off the freeway and keep it under thirty-five miles per hour. She got back on the freeway and we followed her most of the way, since it was on our way home. She still swerved. The spare tire was pulling the car to the left and she kept over correcting to the right. Scary. I felt a little silly for calling 911 but then realized weather she had been drinking or not, she really was unsafe on the road.
As we got closer to home, I thought, "I just called 911 tonight, I don't think I've ever done that before." And then about two seconds later, I thought, "yes I have".
When I was about five or six years old, I was at my babysitter's house with my younger sister, my best friend Ginger and her younger brother Danny. Ginger was a year older than me and Danny was a year younger. My babysitter Ginny, had a playroom for us. At some point an unneeded phone was placed in the playroom for us to play with. However, the phone wasn't broken and as fate would have it, there was a phone jack in the play room behind the toy shelf. I plugged it in. There I said it! I plugged it in. Next, I wanted to see if it worked, so I called Ginny's number (it was written on the phone) and hung up. A second later Ginny's phone rang. I listened down the hall as she answered it, "Hello? Hello?" Click. Hmmm, no harm done.
Later I wanted to use the phone again but I didn't really know anyone's phone number. There was one number I knew though. 911. I knew how to dial 911. So I did and hung up. Nothing seemed to happen. A minute later when no one was watching I dialed and hung up again. I may have done it a third time, I'm not sure. I do remember being brave enough to listen to "911 What's your emergency?" once before I hung up. A little while later Ginny came in and discovered the phone plugged in. She asked who had dialed 911. We all looked at her bewildred. Danny and Ginger because they had no idea what she was talking about and me, because I was a good actor. When no one fessed up, she marched out to the living room and had us stand with our noses in separate corners. She said we were to stay there until someone fessed up. "Maybe it was Bethany?" I offered trying to use my baby sister as a scape goat. "She's not old enough." Ginny shut me down and probably began to grow suspicious of me.
Okay, so I'm standing here with my nose in the corner. This isn't so bad I thought. Not bad compared to what might happen if I tell the truth. I'll be in more trouble with Ginny, then she'll tell my parents with whom I'll be in even more trouble with.
"Danny! Tell her it was you!" Ginger screeched in a whisper to poor Danny. Of course, she thought it was him. It wasn't her and oh what faith she had in me to assume it wasn't me. I was old enough to know better. Danny was younger than me, but still old enough to know better. I couldn't let Ginger know it was me. How embarrassing that would be. She'd think it was dumb and be confused that I would do such a thing. No, I was fine standing with my nose in the corner. After about an hour, Ginger wore Danny down and he finally confessed under much pressure. I couldn't believe it. He fessed up to something I did and when Ginny heard, she said Ginger and I were free to continue playing. "I can't believe Danny did that!" Ginger said to me implying the dialing of the 911. "I know," I replied still shocked by his false confession.
Really that memory has haunted me. I never fessed up to it. I stood there while Ginny told Danny's dad what had happened. Danny was going to go home and be in even more trouble. He'd probably even try to tell his parents that he didn't do it, but they wouldn't believe him.
I couldn't sleep that night, the one that happened a few days ago. I felt like either a police officer was going to knock on our door at any moment and say, "We pulled that car over you called about and the driver was sober. You're going to jail for abusing the 911 system," to which I would have to concede. I had abused it and, officer, I had lied about it and, officer, I had let someone else, someone innocent take the blame and the punishment.
Lock me up.
Manifestos of a Middle Child