Friday, March 13, 2009

The Way of the Lord


In reading Proverbs ten today, I was struck by verse twenty-nine, "The way of the Lord is strength for the upright, but destruction will come to the workers of iniquity." I was comforted specifically by the first part and I felt refreshed in a way as only the Word of God can refresh. It was almost like reading those words made them true for me. Then I wondered, if I hadn't read them would they still be true for me? More specifically, are His promises still true for me even if I rarely read them or perhaps don't ever hear or read of them or are mindful of them (I'm talking about specific promises-the ones "we Christians" like to name and claim)?

Here's how my thought pattern went from there. I am strengthened by reading my Bible. Reading God's promises for the righteous encourages me and strengthens my heart. How can I be sure that I am part of that group called "the righteous" or "the upright"? It's not done flippantly, especially with verses like Romans 3:10 out there, which says "There is none righteous, no not one." Isaiah tells us that our best righteousness is like filthy rags before the Lord.
John 15:3 "You are already clean because of the Word which I have spoken to you." Ah, yes. The (capital) Word being none other than Jesus Christ, has a cleansing affect in our hearts, our minds, our lives. "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God." Romans 10:17 So I need to read the Word of God. He is who makes me clean. And if you're still not sure about that, read your Bible. You will be convinced and cleansed in the process. It's a real win-win.

When I take the time to read, I glean so much that I am overwhelmed and perhaps I've only read but a few pages. I feel I should have to read that same section everyday for a month before I can really "get it" and begin to move on. At this rate how can I retain all the truths that the Bible would speak into my life? And as the Lord would have it, this verse came to mind. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." (Italics mine.) So I am not to worry about reviewing everything I've learned up until this point every time I open my Bible to read or seek something new. The Spirit has me covered, but He can only bring to remembrance the things that the Lord has said to me, aka, that I've allowed Him to say to me, that I've heard from Him, that I've read of Him.

So, getting back to my original question. I conclude that the more I read the Word, the more I am in "the way of the Lord" and the more "upright" I am. Reading, meditating, studying the Word is "the way of the Lord" (we know this from Joshua 1:8) and it "is strength for the upright." Another win-win, if you will.

Proverbs 10:17 "He who keeps instruction is in the way of life, (gasp) but he who refuses reproof goes astray." (Italics, bolds and added gasp, mine.)
Notice the words in bold both in the verse above and below.
2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,".

So, how can we be in the way of the Lord and not be upright? And how can we be upright and not be in the way of the Lord? How can we apply God's promises to us when we don't read them, hear them, know them. I don't think we can.

Manifestos of a Middle Child