Friday, September 19, 2008

The Forming of my Future Fabulous Life: Part 2


I try to keep my posts fairly short since I don't imagine many of you really want or have time to read a "novel wanna be" online. But since it appears that I only have one reader and she wants more of the previous story, here goes.
Yes, the parents did come home that night. I don't know if it was late, probably, but we were still up for them to say goodnight to. Jacqueline's bed was a twin daybed boasting an abundance of decorative pillows, but under her bed was the best kept secret in my opinion. She lifted up her bed skirt and slid out or folded out, I can't really remember it was all very mirrors-and-smoke-like, another bed! I had never seen nor heard of a trundle bed, but you could bet there was gonna be one of those in my future life. It was the comfiest bed ever with lots of crisp white linens (I'm not sure what more linens than sheets there could have been, but surely there had been so much more luxury and comfort than just sheets). And as if that wasn't enough, there were feather pillows to top it all off. The whole bed seemed to swallow me up and whisper sweet nothings in my ear all night. I thought at the time that if I had been Jacqueline, I would sleep in the trundle bed every night. I loved sleep (I still do).
I also loved breakfast food. In the morning the kitchen was hopping with voices and coffee. There were incredible looking waffles being consumed by Katherine and Kate. I say incredible looking because I didn't actually get to try them.
"Jessica, are you a big breakfast person?" Jacqueline's mom asked. I made the mistake of replacing in my mind the word breakfast for morning.
"No, not really." What? Where did those words come from?
"What do you usually eat for breakfast?" I was one of four home schooled kids. I ate cereal for breakfast. Quickly. I had to be done with breakfast by the time the timer went off or I didn't get any and had to start school on an empty stomach.
"Cereal." Where were these words coming from and how did I make them stop! Who cares what I normally have for breakfast?! I'll take one of those waffles now please! But as fate would have it, Jacqueline was not a big breakfast person and being her friend meant, I wasn't either. Jacqueline was having poached eggs and toast for breakfast. I had never heard of poached eggs and wasn't sure I would like them. Her dad let me watch him make them, probably thought it was funny that I had never heard of poached eggs let alone know how they were made. I was surprised too, I mean I was ten and thought I had a pretty good handle on the different ways you could cook eggs. Scrambled, fried, over easy. That's right, I'd been to Bob's Big Boy a few times.
Turned out, I loved the poached eggs and couldn't wait to bring back this piece of culture from the Suburbias of Glendale to my house. To my surprise, it never quite stuck or even caught on at my house. However, I am happy to report that poached eggs are in fact a regular part of my current fabulous life!

Manifestos of a Middle Child