Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jazzercise!!!! (This title requires lots of exclamation marks!)


I think it's time for a Jazzercise post. Where to start? I'm sure I have several posts on this topic in me. Like my instructor, Carrie, she's a whole post in and of herself. I know, I find a way to work it into most conversations, but in case you haven't been lucky enough to be present for one of those, I love Jazzercise. I don't go as much as I could, should or wish I did. I lack motivation, especially in the morning, but when I do go...look out, because I am on top of the world for the rest of the day! In fact when Devlyn calls at some point during the day, I'm always sure to mention that I went to Jazzercise that morning! I say this because I feel so proud and accomplished, but also so he'll know that he can expect a little extra dose of crazy from me that day.
I go and I think, why is this only the first time this week that I've gone? For a whole hour, I embody, well many things really. Whatever I want to, that's the beauty of it. I am the dancing queen, only seventeen. (You're welcome for sticking that song in your head for the next 24 hours!) I am a contestant on "So you think you can dance?" and "America's got Talent" as well as some of the lesser known talent search shows. High School Musical (is that just a singing one?), that Grease on Broadway one and heck, sometimes I just make the competitions up.
My class takes place in a gym at an old High School that is now being used for just such community center type events. But since it's in a gym with basketball hoops, giant mascots looming over the score board and Class of '97 "artistically" painted on the wall, I find that my mind wanders so far as to even pretend...I'm a cheerleader doing a half time performance. There I said it.
Besides the incredible exercise and freeing of the mind experience, it also provides great entertainment. There is quite a range of regulars in our class. All are women, but beyond that there are young moms determined to tackle the baby bulge, cute grandmas who are having a blast (I love to watch them dance to Gwen Stafani), middle age fitness freaks-that would be moms of teens or older who look more awesome than me (hard to believe I know). Shape, size and age varies naturally, as does personality. There are the improvers who are having a good time if you know what I mean. No self consciousness there and I say go for it. Hey, they are having fun and I can't help that it can be darn amusing! There are also the lip syncers and the not so in syncers... they just flat out sing along-you know who you are!
The attire is pretty tame, normal stuff for the most part which makes it extra exciting when someone wears a leotard over leggings, with scrunch socks and a sweatband. Oh how I wish I had an invisible camera at times like that. And because it's not enough that they are wearing a leotard, it always has to be some loud print like leopard or a neon color like magenta. Maybe they started Jazzercise twenty years ago and just haven't updated their work out clothes with the times. We'll just give them the benefit of the doubt.
I think these are the basics, but don't worry I'm sure there will be more. Oh so much more for me to share with you! Until next time, keep those jazz hands limber!
Manifestos of a Middle Child